Wednesday, April 18, 2012

What We Dare To Believe!


Ms. Ra’ana Khan
18-4-2012


Excerpt from “Ibn al-Jawzee's - The Devil's Deception: Edited Translation by Dr. Abu Ameenah Bilal Philips”

“Muhammad ibn Sa'd reported from his teachers that three Khaarijites, 'Abdur-Rahmaan ibn Muljam, al-Burak ibn 'Abdillaah and 'Amr ibn Bakr at-Tameemee, gathered in Makkah and pledged to kill 'Alee-RAU,65 Mu'aawiyah and 'Amr ibn al-'Aas respectively and not betray one another.

Ibn Muljam went to Kufah and on the appointed night when 'Alee left his house to lead the early morning prayers (Salaah al-Fajr), he struck him a vicious blow on the forehead which penetrated to his brain. 66

'Alee-RAU cried out to the people not to let him escape and they caught him. When Umm Kulthoom-RAU 67 screamed at him, 'Oh enemy of Allaah, you have killed the Ameer al-Mumineen-RAU wrongly, he replied, 'Cry then.' He then went on to say, 'I poisoned my sword, so if he survives me, I pray that Allaah banishes him and destroys him.' So when 'Alee-RAU died, Ibn Muljam was brought out to be executed and even though Abdullaah ibn Ja'far cut off both of his hands and feet, he did not cry out or speak. Next both of his eyes were pierced by red hot nails, but he still did not cry out. Instead he began to recite Soorah al-'Alaq: “Read in the name of your Lord who created mankind from a leach-like clot” - and he finished it while blood flowed from his eye-sockets. However, when a section of his tongue was burned, he cried out and when asked why he did so at this point, he replied, 'I hate to die in this world with other than Allaah's remembrance on my tongue.'

Looking at the skin on his forehead one could see brownness; the effects of constant prostration in prayer - may Allaah curse him!”

65 At-Tabaree, Taareekh al-Umam wal-Mulook, vol.6,p.83.
66 Ibid., on the 17 th of Ramadaan 661 CE
67 'Alee's daughter.




Recently I read the above and it shook the very ground beneath my feet. It made me realize how sensitive a matter “Belief / Faith” truly is. One can spend a life time believing that they are “true believers” and amongst the faithful, when in fact they are not a part of the hisbullah (friend of Allah-SWT) at all and in fact are the hisbushaytaan (friend of shaytaan).

It really had me worried and I felt the dire need to find out what the method of gauging the validity of one’s belief was. And I came across the following (reference links are provided):



WHAT IS IBAADAT
IBAADAT (WORSHIP) IN ISLAM is restricted to only ritual acts, practices and customs of worship, which were taught by Rasulullah (صلى الله عايه وسالم) and practiced by his noble Companions and the illustrious personalities of Islam in the initial three eras of Islam known as Khairul Quroon (Noblest Ages). Irrespective of the appeal and beauty any act/practice of apparent worship may possess, it will not be Ibaadat in Islam if it has no basis in the Sunnah of Rasulullah (صلى الله عايه وسالم ) – and the concept of the Sunnah is what was known, understood, practised and propagated by the Sahaabah, Taabieen and Tab-e-Taabieen in the period known as Khairul Quroon. Thus, if anyone insists on performing Salaat at sunrise, midday (Zawwaal) and sunset, it will not be said that such performance is Salaat. It will be a haraam bid’ah (innovation) notwithstanding its external form of Salaat. If someone fasts on the Days of Eid, such fasting will not be Ibaadat, but will be haraam bid’ah, the consequence of which is nothing but the Fire of Jahannum. Since these acts which are in conflict with the teachings of Rasulullah (صلى الله عايه وسالم ), they will not be classified as Ibaadat notwithstanding their external forms of worship. If someone performs four raka’ts ‘Fardh’ for Fajr instead of the commanded two raka’ts, such performance will not be Ibaadat irrespective of the beauty of the external form of the act. It will be a haraam bid’ah.
...


Rasulullah (sallallahu alayhi wasallam) further added that the noblest of ages are the Khairul Quroon — the Age of the Sahaabah-RAU, the Age of the Taabieen-RUA and the Age of the Tab-e-Taabieen-RUA. It was in this glorious epoch of Islam which adjoined the Age o f Rasulullah (sallallahu alayhi wasallam) that all the illustrious Authorities of Islam — the Fuqaha, Muhadditheen and Mufassireen — had flourished. It is inconceivable that Islam had been distorted, mutilated and interpolated beyond recognition by the very first generations of Islam for whose reliability and uprighteousness Rasulullah (sallallahu alayhi wasallam) and the Qur'aan Majeed testifies.

The Shariah as it existed during the era o f Khairul Quroon was the perfect and complete Shariah, which Allah Ta'ala speaks of in the Qur'aan. From this we understand that the principle of authenticity of any act, tenet or injunction is its existence and acceptance by the illustrious Authorities of Islam during the Khairul Quroon era. It is perfidious and kufr to claim, that an injunction which the Sahaabah-RAU, the Taabieen-RUA and Tab-e-Taabiheen-RUA upheld is baseless and a fabrication of the ‘Maulanas' of the Indo-Pak subcontinent. This is a notorious crutch of the Ahl-e-Baatil in general in the South African scenario of misinterpretation by the deviates, heretics, skeptics and modernist munaafiqeen.



After reading the above, the thought that what we dare to believe is a very precarious matter! We sometimes randomly say or believe things which are absolutely contrary to the ayaat and/or injunctions of the Quran and/or are disregarding the Sunnah of the Prophet Muhammad-SAAW and/or the Sunnah of the Khair-ul-Quroon. We do not realize that in doing so we might have transgressed to a point whereby we have exceeded the bounds of faith and without our even knowing it we have blasphemed such, that all our acts are lost. Moreover, we in our ignorant arrogance have in fact given weight to our own knowledge, ego, intellect, logic and understanding such that we have followed the Sunnah of the Shaytan; as he refused to prostrate before Adam-AS on the Command of Allah-SWT, based on his apparent knowledge and understanding whereby he assumed his superiority over that of Adam-AS and went so far as to refuting the Command of Allah-SWT.

Declaring something biddah whereby the authentic Fatawa are present to validate it, tantamount to replicating the act of satan. However, it is essentially important to keep away from biddah and for that, one must be able to recognize it.

Hadith of the Prophet-SAAW, reported by Aboo Daawood, Tirmidhee and others, no. 2549 in Saheehul-Jaami'

"Beware of the newly-invented matters, for every such matter is a bid'ah and every bid'ah leads astray, and everything that leads astray is in the Fire,"

According to the Hadith: “Every Biddah leads one astray.” Thus this is a very clear litmus test for us, in doing an act which we are seemingly doubtful about its validity we should look at the people who have adopted it and are recommending it. We should see the before and after character and life of the person and if we find that the person has become more distant to the Sunnah of the Prophet-SAAW and the Khair-ul-Quroon and we find him entrapped in and promoting customs and culture more than the authentic deen itself, that is valid proof enough that the act must be a form of biddah. However, if we find that in adopting the act, the person (in character and lifestyle) has become more adherent to the Sunnah of the Prophet-SAAW and the Khair-ul-Quroon, and has developed an aversion towards commonly practiced biddah, customs and culture. Thereupon we should rest assured that the act is in fact a valid act of Islam and/or I’badat.

I realized all the more how essential it is for us to go back to the Islam that was brought to us by the Prophet-SAAW and followed and imparted forth by the three blessed generations. How important for us it was to choose and follow a particular Fiqh. For me the choice being a simple one, as Imaam Abu Hanifa-RUA was from amongst the Taabieen-RUA. Imaam Abu Hanifa-RUA met at least four Sahaaba (Radhiallaahu Anhum), among them one is Hadhrat Anas ibn Maalik (Radhiallaahu Anhu). Thus he was surely amongst the Khair-ul-Quroon and after the Prophet Muhammad-SAAW, there are none amongst us who surpass them in Islam.

Thus I would suggest in all earnestness to those fellow Muslims amongst us, who without bothering to validate or having filtered through the act or person through the litmus test, declare Tasawwuf (Persian translation of original word Tazkiyyah), in its entirety, biddah, that please stop to realize the gravity of this matter before it is too late. As Tasawwuf is amongst the Sunnan of the Khair-ul-Quroon and is adopted through direct injunctions and Commands of Allah-SWT in the Holy Quran. The exact way the Fiqh was compiled and derived formally during the era of the Khair-ul-Quroon by Imaam Abu Hanifa-RUA. As was done the formal compilation of the Ahadith, during the time of the Tabieen-RUA. (References provided below

No doubt like every genuine, beautiful and valuable thing is attacked, as were these fields. And various movements were not only churned up to negate these three fields and bring about doubt in these matters; a) infact pseudo and fake Sufistic movements were evolved with fake saints using them as means to power and wealth came about, b) newly formed interpolated Fiqhs were developed (dividing the Ummah into sects and sub sects), c) invented Hadith were spread which were cleansed and removed initially by the efforts of Imaam Bukhari-RUA (in his compilation of authentic Hadith famously known as "Saheeh Bukhari"). He dedicated his life to this duty and created 17 subjects to validate and authentic the Ahadith. Thereafter other movements were raised to create further doubts and negate the Hadith claiming they are unreliable etc. The enemies of Islam have been busy, however it was no news to Allah-SWT and His-SWT Messenger-SAAW that they would do so, therefore we have very simple tests and guidance to negate all these found clearly in the Quran and the Sunnah of Prophet Muhammad-SAAW and the Khair-ul-Quroon.

We do not realize that refuting, negating or even belittling either of these three fields  or departments of Islam (in their entirety) declaring them as Biddah or incorrect and adulterated or interpolated and unauthentic is costing us or rather divesting us of our basic eemaan. And we might find ourselves receiving a very rude shock on the Day of Reckoning when we suddenly discover that all our deeds were lost!





From the traditional Sufi point of view, the esoteric teachings of Sufism were transmitted from Muhammad-SAAW  to those who had the capacity to acquire the direct experiential gnosis of God, which was passed on from teacher to student through the centuries. Some of this transmission is summarized in texts, but most is not. Important contributions in writing are attributed to Uwais al-Qarni, Harrm bin Hian, Hasan Basri and Sayid ibn al-Mussib, who are regarded as the first Sufis in the earliest generations of Islam. Harith al-Muhasibi was the first one to write about moral psychology. Rabia Basri was a Sufi known for her love and passion for God, expressed through her poetry. Bayazid Bastami was among the first theorists of Sufism; he concerned himself with fanā and baqā, the state of annihilating the self in the presence of the divine, accompanied by clarity concerning worldly phenomena derived from that perspective.

Sufism had a long history already before the subsequent institutionalization of Sufi teachings into devotional orders (tarîqât) in the early Middle Ages. Almost all extant Sufi orders trace their chains of transmission (silsila) back to Muhammad-SAAW  via his cousin and son-in-law Ali-RUA. The Naqshbandi order is a notable exception to this rule, as it traces the origin of its teachings from Muhammad-SAAW  to the first Islamic Caliph, Abu Bakr-RUA.


The Hanafi (Arabic: حنفيḤanafī ) school is one of the four Madhhabs (schools of law) in jurisprudence (Fiqh) within Sunni Islam. The Hanafi Fiqh is named after the Persian scholar Abu Hanifa an-Nu‘man ibn Thābit (Hijri: أبو حنيفة النعمان بن ثابت) (767 - 699CE /80 - 148 AH), a Tabi‘I whose legal views were preserved primarily by his two most important disciples, Abu Yusuf and Muhammad al-Shaybani. This is the most prominent among all Sunni Schools and it has the most adherents in the Muslim world


The beginning of the systematic collection and compilation of hadith began during the time of the second generation of Muslims, that of the Followers. Muhammad ibn Muslim ibn Ubaydullah-RUA, commonly known as ibn Shihab al-Zuhri-RUA, was a prolific and prominent hadith narrator from the Followers whom Ibn Hajar identified as a tabi'i. According to Ibn Hajar, “Ibn Shihab al-Zuhri was the first to compile hadith at the beginning of the first century after the Migration acting on the order of Umar ibn AbdulAziz. It was after this that the compilation, then the authoring of books of hadith became commonplace, resulting in much good.”





I once heard in a religious sermon that the proof of a true Wallee of Allah-SWT is that in his company one’s heart would feel love and closeness to Allah-SWT and the Prophet-SAAW without even his having said anything. Truly I found this litmus test proven correct without doubt. Alhamdulillah I am amongst those blessed few, even in this day and age, who have found a true Wallee of Allah-SWT and a true guide. For this I can never thank my Allah-SWT enough!

I was brought up an exceptionally liberal household and we had not much to do with Islam. Then by Allah-SWT’s Grace and Will, someone introduced us to zikr-e-qalbi (the remembrance of Allah-SWT by the heart). I met the Sheikh (spiritual Teacher) Ameer Muhammad Akram Awan. And albeit I never knew much of Islam as such and our practical lives were almost completely devoid of it, yet in my heart I used to communicate with Allah-SWT as a child and always felt that I had a special connection whereby Allah-SWT would tell me things in my heart. I remember the first time I went to see Ameer Muhammad Akram Awan. He had come to Khalid Masjid in Cavalry Ground Lahore, for leading the Friday prayer. I went there with my newly reverted mother, completely skeptical of him and these new revolutionary teachings and feelings that had recently taken over my mother. I asked Allah-SWT in my heart that “if he is true, then YOU-SWT will tell me in my heart”. And with this confidence I anxiously awaited him outside, waiting to see him and waiting to hear what my heart had to say. Finally, as he stepped outside, amongst a huge crowd of people waiting to meet him, I saw his smiling face beaming over the crowd, as he is 6’4” tall. And my heart spoke and I will never forget the instant urge I felt to be near him. I felt this connection and this bond, and my heart almost screamed “YES HE IS A MAN OF ALLAH-SWT!” I met him a second time at someone’s residence. Then I met him a third time, and I was still not doing zikr-Allah, I was still far from Deen, I was still living my godless life, I was still buried neck deep in sin, nothing had changed since I had met him really. Yet when I was in his presence I was someone else. I remember I walked in with my mother, and she re-introduced me for the third time in my life. He met me with a warm polite smile. I went and sat down with the rest of the people. Then I experienced the strangest thing. I being one of those who would think it the greatest embarrassment and humiliation to cry publicly began crying with tears rolling down my face. But what was most shocking was the reason for my tears. What had upset me was that I did not like the fact that I had to be reintroduced to him a third time, and he did not know who I was, then the thought had come to me that “how would I feel when I am finally presented before my Prophet-SAAW and he-SAAW would not recognize me?” And at this thought uncontrollable tears had began to rush down my face and I didn’t care where I was and who could see me. This in itself was nothing short of a miracle and the true litmus test had revealed the truth, as I realized later. Alhamdulillah it is one of my Rabb-SWT’s greatest gifts bestowed on me that I have been blessed with the company and guidance and bait of a true Wallee of Allah-SWT and furthermore Allah-SWT has blessed me with zikr-e-qalbi. May Allah-SWT grant my Sheikh a long fruitful, happy, healthy, successful life and bless him with the highest stations of Willayah. Aameen! 

Al-Quran; Surat Al-Kahf :ayat 28 –
"And keep yourself patient [by being] with those who call upon their Lord in the morning and the evening, seeking His countenance. And let not your eyes over look them, desiring the pomp and glitter of the life of the world;and obey not him [nor listen to/ pay heed to one] whose heart WE have made heedless of OUR Remembrance (zikr-e-qalbi), one who follows his own lusts and whose affair [deeds] has been lost."

Al-Quran; Surat Az-Zumar :ayat 22 –
"Is one whose breast ALLAH has opened [wide with willingness] to Islam, so that he is illumined by a Light [that flows] from his Sustainer [and follows a Light from ALLAH], [no better than or be likened to the blind and deaf of heart, one hardened of heart]? Woe to those whose hearts are hardened against the [zikr] remembrance of ALLAH (zikr-e-qalbi). They are manifestly wandering [in error]!"

Anyway coming back to the topic, after reading all this and my various interactions with a number of somewhat sincere Muslims, who I feel lacked clarity, I understood how imperative it is for one to have a teacher and guide, a sheikh or better still “Ameer-ul-Mumineen”. Especially in today’s day and age, where we are bombarded with a sea of information; of different variations, teachings, concepts and sects of Islam, it is ever so important for us to find a Sahib-e-Dil (One with an enlightened heart) Sheikh to help us cleanse our hearts and filter for us the correct teachings of Islam, to simplify and explain to us the Quran, Sunnah and Hadith, and Fiqh in a manner whereby even an illiterate villager can comprehend the message and follow it. I was overwhelmed with gratitude towards my Most Gracious and Loving Allah-SWT who blessed me with such a teacher. Alhamdulillah in my 16-17 years of having him as my teacher I have never come across even the remotest of conflicts and issues with his character and teachings. I can never thank Allah-SWT for blessing me with zikr-e-Qalbi. Thus allowing my heart to be cleansed and guided and opening my breast to the light of Islam.

May Allah-SWT bless me with steadfastness and May He-SWT allow me to always engage in His Remembrance and die while my heart is still calling out to Him without the slightest of slackness. May He-SWT keep me amongst His-SWT dearest and most beloved people in this life as well as the hereafter. And on the Day of Judgment May Allah-SWT raise me amongst those who receive salvation without accountability and bless me with the extreme and exceptional happiness and success of both the worlds. And May Allah-SWT do the same for you and the entire Ummah-tul-Muslimeen. Aameen!

Sahih Muslim Hadith 7178;

Narrated by Abdullah ibn Mas'ud: Since our acceptance of Islam and the revelation of this verse (57.16) in which Allah has shown annoyance to us, there was a gap of four years.

Surah Al-Hadid 57, Ruku 2, ayat 16:


“Has not the time arrived for the Believers that their hearts in all humility should engage in the remembrance of ALLAH (zikr-e-qalbi) and of the truth which has been revealed (to them) and that they should not become like those to whom was given Revelation aforetime but long ages passed over them and their hearts grew hard? For many among them are rebellious transgressors.



Important note: Any person or group or sect that disregards even a single ayat of the Quran or the Hadith or undermines the Sahabah-RAU or challenges the teachings of the Khair-ul-Quroon in any which way, has/have deviated and taken himself/themselves out of the folds of Islam and any such group or sect shall be considered deviant in its entirety. To believe that only this one or these few aspects or beliefs of theirs are incorrect, however the rest of their beliefs are fine is absurd. Moreover, it is these thoughts and such logic that has spread confusion amongst the Ummah. There is only one Islam and one Ummah, if they all remove the one or few incorrect beliefs they adamantly uphold, all confusion would be removed and the Ummah would find itself one and united again.



Al-Quran; Surah Al-e-Imran: ayat 103



And hold fast, all together, by the rope which Allah (stretches out for you), and be not divided among yourselves; and remember with gratitude Allah's favour on you; for ye were enemies and He joined your hearts in love, so that by His Grace, ye became brethren; and ye were on the brink of the pit of Fire, and He saved you from it. Thus doth Allah make His Signs clear to you: That ye may be guided.



No comments: